Bachelor of Theology
The Bachelor of Theology is a three-year course that aims to train the candidates in Old Testament, New Testament, Theology & Ethics, History of Christianity, Christian Leadership, Christian Ministry, Missions, Religion & Philosophy and Languages. This course is designed to produce Christ-like, Spirit-empowered, tansformational leaders to serve diverse people groups in India.
- The candidate is expected to satisfy the following criteria:
- He / she should be a born-again Christian.
- He / she should be a person of good Christian reputation.
- The candidate should be an active member of a local church.
- The candidate must obtain letters of recommendation from the local pastor / a previous institution / an elder from church who must have known the candidate not less than three years.
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate a definite calling in his/her life to the Lord’s ministry.
- The minimum educational qualification is a pass in 12th standard or equivalent.
- The medium of instruction is English. Hence, candidates are expected to possess at least a basic. English proficiency manageable enough to read, write and speak on a basic level.
- The course curriculum includes a basic orientation in areas namely, Old Testament, New Testament, Theology & Ethics, History of Christianity, Christian Leadership, Christian Ministry, Missions, Religion & Philosophy and Languages.
- See the following table for a detailed information on the courses offered:
No. Course Code Subject Credit Hours
Department of Old Testament
1. OT1001 General Survey of the Bible I 3
2. OT1002 Introduction to Pentateuch 3
3. OT1007 Prophetical Movement 3
4. OT1003 Historical Books 3
5. OT1004 History of Israel 3
6. OT1005 Psalms & Worship in Israel 3
7. OT1006 Wisdom Literature 3
8. OT1008 Bible Geography & Customs 3
9. OT1009 Inter-Testamental Period 3
10. OT1010 Preliminary Hebrew 3
Department of New Testament
12. NT1021 General Survey of the Bible II 3
13. NT1022 Life & Ministry of Jesus Christ 3
14. NT1026 Romans & Galatians 3
15. NT1023 Synoptic Gospel 3
16. NT1024 Gospel of John 3
17. NT1025 Acts of the Apostles 3
18. NT1027 Corinthian Concerns 3
19. NT1028 Prison Epistles 3
20. NT1029 Pastoral Epistles 3
21. NT1030 I & II Thessalonians 3
22. NT1031 Epistle to the Hebrews 3
23. NT1032 General Epistles 3
24. NT1033 Apocalyptic Literature 3
25. NT1034 Preliminary Greek 3
Department of Theology & Ethics
26. TE1042 Systematic Theology I 3
27. TE1043 Systematic Theology II 3
28. TE1046 Biblical Ethics 3
29. TE1041 Introduction to Theology & Bible 3
30. TE1044 Systematic Theology III 3
31. TE1045 Systematic Theology IV 3
32. TE1047 Christian Apologetics 3
Department of History of Christianity
33. HC1061 History of Christianity I 3
34. HC1063 History of Christianity in India 3
35. HC1062 History of Christianity II 3
36. HC1064 History & Teachings of Pentecostalism 3
Department of Religion & Philosophy
37. RP1081 Major Religions in India 3
38. RP1082 Contemporary Indian Movements 3
39. RP1083 Cults & Occults 3
40. RP1084 Introduction to Philosophy 3
Department of Christian Ministry
41. CM1101 Basic Spirituality 3
42. CM1102 Christian Education 3
43. CM1103 Biblical Interpretation 3
44. CM1104 Homiletics 3
45. CM1105 Pastoral Care and Counseling 3
46. CM1106 Communication 3
47. CM1107 Pastoral Theology 3
Department of Christian Leadership
48. CL1121 Church Administration & Leadership 3
49. CL1122 Biblical Foundations of Leadership 3
50. CL1123 Christian Leadership & Culture 3
51. CL1124 Leadership Development 3
Department of Mission
52. MS1141 Mission and Personal Evangelism 3
53. MS1143 Principles of Church Growth 3
54. MS1142 Theology of Mission 3
55. MS1144 Life & Work of Missionaries 3
Department of General Studies
56. GS1161 Study Method 3
57. GS1162 English I 3
58. GS1163 English II 3
59. GS1164 English III 3
60. GS1165 Understanding Indian Society 3
Average Credits for B. Th. Programme: 108 hours
Maximum Credits for B. Th. Programme: 120 hours
- As of now, scholarship is available based on eligibility.
- A minimum of 40% marks in all examinations.
- Satisfactory performances in practical ministry which includes activities in campus chapel, regular weekend ministry with local churches and one month of ministry during summer vacation each year.
- Evidence of good Christian character throughout the students stay on campus.
- Additionally, the students must meet all financial obligations to the Institute.
Opportunities for Graduates
Upon graduation, the B Th graduates are looking at the following opportunities:
- Be an evangelist
- Be a pastor / associate pastor / teaching elder at a local church
- Be a part of a para-church organisation
- A candidate to apply for M. Div
Southern Asia Leadership Institute,
Veerappanur, Pichanoor P.O,
Coimbatore – 641105
Phone: 0422-2656278, 0422-2656279+918098533224